Strengthening Conversational Skills
Strengthening Conversational Skills is a course for students who want to improve their speaking and listening skills. Classes are based on discussions and presentations where topics of general academic interest are discussed. Students are exposed to real communicative situations where they experience the need of communicating by using English as target language. The focus of this course is to develop students´ communicative skills in English; nevertheless, students will learn communicative strategies that can be transferred to any communicative situation where other languages are spoken.
Strengthening Conversational Skills course introduces students to issues that characterize the social and cultural values of different countries and to the factors that facilitate understanding among people with different backgrounds. Modern citizens and professionals are required to show strategies to communicate effectively in different contexts and settings, it is important to highlight the fact that effective communication does not only entail the ability to convey words logically organized and with good pronunciation, it also brings about the importance of finding the appropriate way of conveying a message.
Conversational Skills Course is an interdisciplinary subject that aims at improving candidates’ competence and confidence in dealing with speakers of English in a variety of contexts and situations.
- To become fluent and spontaneous speakers of English.
- To develop good command of a broad vocabulary to overcome and avoid communication breakdowns.
- To become familiar with expressions or avoidance strategies to avoid misunderstandings.
- To use the language fluently, accurately and effectively on a wide range of general, academic, vocational or leisure topics, making clear the relationships between ideas.
- To communicate with some confidence on topics related to interests and professional field.
- To discuss about abstract topics that are cultural related such as art, feelings, traditions, etc.
- To participate on discussions and everyday talks about topics such as films, books, music etc.
- To argue others’ positions about controversial topics convincingly, responding to questions and comments.
- To express personal ideas and opinions accurately.
The course will offer a range of subject and situational content that will guide the participants through to achieve communicative goals in casual conversations, informal and formal discussion, debates, interviews and presentations. Student will be exposed to real communicative situations where they have to use and develop skills and strategies to convey meaning successfully. Based on students¡¦ prior knowledge and independent work activities, they work on discussions, debates and presentations where they can support their opinions and argue others’.
- Body language and social chit-chat.
- Public speaking skills and giving presentations.
- Communicating across cultures.
- Social Networks
- Film, media and television.
- Stereotypes across cultures
- Music and dance
- Festivals around the world
In order to give students support and to provide them with a clear evaluation system, a short description of what is going to be evaluated is done. The activities that are part of the evaluation are shown in the following chart (next page). The evaluation will be qualitative and quantitative. Students pass all the activities with a 3.0 or more, if the student does not get this minimum in the overall performance, that entails the online and classroom instruction activities, it means that this student fails the course.
Please download the course contents by clicking here